Monday, February 4, 2013

Super Bowl Extravaganza

Woah. Was that a game of pigskin or WHAT?  Two of the best teams in the league facing off for all the marbles. Now THAT'S what I call football.  What's so great about the superbowl is that it's not just about the game itself - there's so much more. There's the superbowl party (McKinnon Hall was off the HOOK), there's the excessive amounts of food (I know that I personally won't be eating anything for a few days), there's the smacktalk between friends (Caleb roots for the 49ers and Brad roots for the RAvens....NOT a good match, but they hugged it out after the game was over because sportsmanship rules), the halftime show (She's got ME crazy in love LOL) and of course, there are the commercials.  Before we ever get into the game itself, let's talk about the funny commercials. Obviously, the athletes and pigskins are why we watch the game, but the commercials are almost just as entertaining. How about that one where the M&M is singing the Meatloaf classic "I Would Do Anything For Love?" Or the one where everyone gets in a big fight in the library over the Oreos?  My personal favorite? The one with the crazy goat that was addicted to Doritos!!!! Doritos always has the best commercials, and this year they certainly didn't disappoint.

Now for the actual game itself (sorry for the tangent I just love super bowl commercials).  McKinnon hall had a big superbowl party, and everyone was ready for a gridiron bloodbath. There were some people rooting for the Ravens, some rooting for the niners, but everyone was rooting for a good game with sportsmanship and touchdowns. I had on my old school Jerry Rice jersey, which everyone thought was cool, especially Brad.  Everyone pitched in and we bought wings and pizza. I ate a lot, but Yi ate the most of everyone and earned himself the new nickname "Wingmaster."  BBQ is my favorite but we also had buffalo.  As kickoff slowly approached, everyone shouted out there final score predictions. Me? I said 24-17 Niners (Boy, was I wrong!)  Brad said Ravens 35 Niners 28 which was pretty close. Brad knows a lot about sports and athletics, which is probably why he had such a good prediction. Brad played freshman football in high school and was a cornerback. He met Drew Brees once. He said he was a really nice guy but he couldn't talk for very long. I don't blame Drew because he probably has a lot of plays to study and he lifts weights a lot. Football must be exhausting.

The Ravens clawed their way into the endzone early but the Niners came back with a field goal and I think everyone knew we were in for a championship game right then. Turns out the Ravens would dominate the rest of the first half. J. Flacco threw for 3 tds in the first half, including one for 56 yards and one for 1 yard and one for 13 yards. A. Boldin caught the first one. The Niners looked good but made a lot of mistakes and turnovers and you can't do that in the superbowl.  Just ask Tom Brady LOL!

HALFTIME- and here comes my girl Beonsay. Now, I've heard some people complain that this halftime show was a little racy, and I have to agree. There are people watching the super bowl with their children, and Beonsay is doing some inappropriate moves. At least it wasn't as bad as Janet Jackson a few years ago LOL. Overall though, I was very happy with the halftime show, and Beonsay is a very talented girl. It was also great to see Destiny's Child get back together. They used to be great! (makes you feel old, huh?)

When the second half came, the Ravens returned a kickoff right off the bat for a touchdown and they got the extra point. And then the unthinkable happened....THE POWER WENT OUT IN THE STADIUM!!!! Fans across the nation scratched their heads (although, secretly, I was relieved because I had an excuse to go get another soda!).  Brad had the joke of the night by saying that Beyonce was too hot for the stadium to handle! I think I might agree with him there, although my theory was that it was Bane from the dark knight rises LOL.  Eventually the power came back on - not just in the stadium, but in the 49ers offense. C. Kapernick brought the team back to be within a few points and it became a real nail biter no pun intended.

I have to admit, I didn't like the sportsmanship late in the game from the RAvens. Look, I know you're about to win the game, but to rub it in their faces by intentionally getting a safety? No, that's just low. Gosh, I wish the niners would have returned that final kick to just show those Ravens how big of idiots they are. Oh well, at the end of the day, it's just a game. Glad to see Ray Lewis go out on top and Shane Falco got the mvp which was pretty rad.

Monday after the superbowl: men across the country are in a state of severe depression. Hang in there guys. Although we won't get to see our gridiron gladiators battle it out again any time soon, we've still got the memories of this awesome season to cherish. Thanks everyone for keeping up with my nfl coverage this season. It's been a blast, and I'll be back next year when WHO DEY NATION takes over LOL.

Anyone got any crazy superbowl stories???



No comments:

Post a Comment