Thursday, November 29, 2012

Yo, Yo, Yo


What up, ya’ll? Things have really been loosening up on the third floor of McKinnon Hall.  Everyone is so friendly.  We had an arts and crafts night on Tuesday and we decorated the lobby! This girl named Amy drew this really cool design on the wall and we all signed our names around it.  Yi wrote his name in Chinese!  How fun!

One of the chillest guys I’ve met so far (next to Brad) is this guy named Caleb who lives a couple doors down.  I was going to the bathroom the other night when I heard the sounds of an acoustic guitar coming from down the hall.  It was Caleb!  I decided to knock on his door and say “what’s up?” (College Tip: Don’t be afraid to approach random people and introduce yourself. All freshman get nervous about this, but we’re all eager to meet new people, so go for it!) He invited me in and let me sit on his sofa.  He had a Fat-head on his wall of “The Most Interesting Man in the World!” I was so jealous!  Caleb says he wants to be a rock n’ roll musical guitar player one day, and if he keeps shredding the way he does, I think he’ll actually make it.  Caleb has a really cool earring that he got after his uncle passed.  He says he used to play shows at his high school in Akron and he wants to play at some local bars around campus, after he finds a drummer, or course.  I told him I don’t play drums, but I used to play the Tuba in middle school.  He said thanks, but he’s going for a more neo-folk sound (I googled neo-folk later that night.  It’s a “form of folk-inspired experimental music that emerged from post-industrial music circles.”  Rock on!) 

Caleb showed me a cool indie music group called “Mumford and the Sons.” I’ve posted one of their songs below…after about 40 minutes of figuring out how the heck to embed youtube videos on my blog! He says they’re going to be the next big thing, and I believe him.  The Mumford and Sons play bluegrass and rock, but some of their songs can’t even be put into a genre- they’re just too unique! Caleb describes them as “if Jason Mraz and Bob Dylan moved to Ireland together and formed a band.” (Bob Dylan is 1960s) Caleb said he would listen to Mumford in Sons with his girlfriend during the weeks leading up to the start of college.  Caleb’s girlfriend (I forget her name. Beth? Katelyn? Ugh, I need to start writing things down L) is a senior in high school this year, but she’s planning on coming to OU next year when she graduates.  Good for them! Long term relationships must be tough, but Caleb manages his stresses with music.  Which leads me to my question for the day: When you’re feeling overwhelmed, what’s your favorite method for coping with the stress?

P.S. Thanks to my loyal reader Willedurmom for pointing out an error in my post from Tuesday.  I spelled “roommate” as “rommate”- I forgot one of the Os.  I’ll be more careful next time.  I need an editor, ugh! Thanks Willedurmom!

Here’s a catchy song from Mumford.  Let me know what you think! 




2 comments:

  1. Havent Heard of Mumford yet....Great Find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear the neo-folk scene is really thriving around here, Caleb will fit right in :)

    ReplyDelete